Written by Ron Harris
27 September 2009

A night of stunning upsets began with the 202 Showdown. Earlier today, after the prejudging was over, I truly thought defending champion Dave Henry had the show sewed up like Betsy Ross. Apparently the judges saw Kevin English as being not only close to him, but superior. Kevin does have better overall shape and structure, with the classic X-frame. And in terms of condition, he was right there with Henry. Still, often the ‘incumbency factor' works to a champ's advantage and can save him in a close call. Not this time. Though Brazil's massive Eduardo Correia didn't seem too pleased with third place, it's an amazing accomplishment for a guy who just did his first pro show four months ago.

Final results:

1. Kevin English                     $10,000

2. David Henry                       $4,000

3. Eduardo Correia                 $3,000

4. Mark Dugdale                     $2,000

5. James "Flex" Lewis            $1,000

Mr. Olympia Finals

Report by Ron Harris

"It's all politics." How many times have you heard that in reference to the judging at the Mr. Olympia contest This year's show went a long way toward restoring faith in the judging. Jay Cutler getting his title back made bodybuilding history. No man has ever done that in the 44 years they have held this event. But Jay, who worked with Hany Rambod to recapture the legendary 2001 look that has eluded him ever since, was pumped all weekend - aggressive and energetic. He knew he looked too good to be beaten, and he was right. Jay winning was really no surprise. Other placings in the top five were quite shocking and had jaws dropping all over the Orleans Arena.

Branch Warren in second place was the biggest upset I have ever seen. He beat all the men who were being touted as potential winners: Dennis Wolf (who was not even in the top fifteen), Phil Heath, Victor Martinez, Kai Greene, even defending Mr. O Dexter Jackson. The judges really did do the right thing this year all the way down the line, so I take my hat off to them. It was not the ‘same old shit' this year and nobody got screwed.

Dexter was  not very happy to lose the title, and seemed really insulted to take third place. He looked great, but Branch simply had too much muscle and was too shredded, grainy, and dry for him to handle.

Kai Greene was gracious in taking fourth place. He had done his trademark routine of unique poses and amazingly graceful transitions, but there must have been a strict time limit on routines as it appeared to be on the brief side compared to his usual grand opus. On the note of great routines, Melvin Anthony didn't even make the top ten this time.

Phil Heath was fuller tonight, but had been much sharper last night. His lack of width and lack of size relative to the men that beat him proved to be his undoing. The Gift is still a young man with a world full of potential, and it's just a matter of time and more mass.

Rounding out the top six was Victor Martinez, who did an emotional routine to Boyz II Men "It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday" in tribute to his murdered sister Eridania. When Vic nailed his condition perfectly one day, he will become Mr. Olympia.

All in all, this was both the most competitive Mr. O I have ever attended since my first one in 1991, and the most uplifting in terms of the decisions being just and fair. Great show!

Final results:

1. Jay Cutler                                        $200,000

2. Branch Warren                                $100,00

3. Dexter Jackson                                $75,000

4. Kai Greene                                      $50,000

5. Phil Heath                                       $40,000

6. Victor Martinez                               $30,000

7. Ronny Rockel                                 $20,000

8. Toney Freeman                               $18,000

9. Hidetada Yamagishi                       $15,000

10. Moe El-Moussawi                         $14,000